Pathophysiology and Clinical Conditions
As HIV has become a chronic health condition, the management of patients living with HIV has shifted. There is an increasing need for health care providers to assess and address the adverse effects of HIV infection and treatment, including HIV-associated lipodystrophy, diabetes, renal and cardiovascular diseases.
Webinar 2: Pathophysiology and Clinical Conditions Associated with Obesity and Lipodystrophy
Corrilynn Hileman, MD
MetroHealth Medical Center
View the webinar
The objectives of this webinar are:
- Recognize the clinical conditions associated with lipodystrophy (e.g., CVD, sarcopenia, osteoporosis, and fatty liver; diabetes and hypertension)
- Describe shared pathophysiology of these clinical conditions
- Define the tools to used assess for these clinical conditions and their limitations
- Outline the pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapies to reduce these conditions
After watching the entire webinar and successful completing the evaluation, you receive 1.0 CNE or a Certificate of Participation. The link for the evaluation will be posted at the end.
- CNICS Lipodystrophy tools with waist circumference
- Hip and waist circumference instructions
- Short Performance Physical Battery of Frailty
- Visual assessment of lipodystrophy
- ASCVD AHA/ACC risk estimator
- Feinstein MJ, Nance RM, Drozd DR, Ning H, Delaney JA, …Crane HM. Assessing and Refining Myocardial Infarction Risk Estimation Among Patients With Human Immunodeficiency Virus. JAMA Cardiol. 2017;2(2):155–162. doi:10.1001/jamacardio.2016.4494
- Grinspoon, Steven, and Andrew Carr. "Cardiovascular risk and body-fat abnormalities in HIV-infected adults." New England Journal of Medicine 352.1 (2005): 48-62.
- Hawkins, K.L., Brown, T.T., Margolick, J.B. and Erlandson, K.M., 2017. Geriatric syndromes: new frontiers in HIV and sarcopenia. Aids, 31, pp.S137-S146.
- Lake, Jordan E., et al. "Practical Review of Recognition and Management of Obesity and Lipohypertrophy in Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection." Clinical Infectious Diseases 64.10 (2017): 1422-1429.
- Stanley, Takara L., and Steven K. Grinspoon. "Body composition and metabolic changes in HIV-infected patients." Journal of Infectious Diseases 205.suppl_3 (2012): S383-S390.