Southern California Chapter
Southern California ChapterChapter Disbanded in 2002
(Last Updated 2005)
The Chapter was chartered in 1992 – it is believed that Bill Mannion, RN was founder, meetings were held at Midway Hospital.
President in 1997 – Denise O’Neil
Secretary = Nancy Zavich
Quarterly meetings held at Sherman Oaks Hospital
President = Jacqui Pitt
Vice President = Robert Cordova
Treasurer = Denise O’Neil
Started having quarterly meetings with dinner at hotel location in downtown LA.
• Issues Related to Adherence to Therapy – Jacqui Pitt, RN, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
• Nutritional Issues When Taking HIV Therapy – Shazi Shabatian, MSRD, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Collaborated with LA Physicians Forum July 22, 1998 – International AIDS Conference Review
September 9, 1998:
• AIDS Wasting, the significance and treatment – JB Molaghan, NP, ACRN, San Francisco General Hospital - Sponsored by Celgene
• Anemia and Fatigue in HIV and AIDS – Chris Rice, NP, ACRN, Ortho Biotech - Sponsored by Ortho Biotech
December 2, 1998
• Pediatric HIV Care - Special concerns for this population – Sarah Wheeler, MSN, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles
• Psychosocial issues in Adult with HIV & AIDS – Maria Garay, Social Worker, Bethesda House Los Angeles
Robert Cordova – President
Chris Rice – President elect
Jacqui Pitt – Treasurer
Margaret Miller – Nominating committee
News Letter started - AN ACtive voice
March 3, 1999
• Current antiretroviral therapies – How to manage the side effects – Mary Adair, AIDS Health Care Foundation
• Lipodystrophy- What is it & what should we do? – Robert Cordova, RN, ACRN, Tammy Basile Darke, RD, C.N.S.D, CARE Clinic at St. Mary’s Medical Center
June 2, 1999
• Psychiatric Manifestations – Sharon Huggins, RN, NP Harbor UCLA Mental Health
• Psychotropic & HIV medications & their interactions – Sharon Huggins, RN, NP Harbor UCLA Mental Health
Petitioned National ANAC for name change to - Southern California Chapter of ANAC. This was granted.
Host Chapter for San Diego Conference in Nov 1999 – Logo adopted
President = Chris Rice
Robert Cordova = Immediate Past President
Jacqui Pitt = Treasurer
Rachel Belanger = Secretary
Call for nominations and chapter termination notice received 9 responses from our 32 members in favor of continuing the chapter. As this did not constitute a quorum we had to propose to national that our chapter becomes inactive during 2001, to allow a restructuring committee to form with the mission of reactivating and revitalizing the chapter in 2002.
World AIDS Day Conference in conjunction with Cedars-Sinai Medical Center on December 1, 2000.
President = Chris Rice
Secretary = Rachel Belanger
Treasurer = Jacqui Pitt
Director at Large = Robert Cordova
Letter to close chapter sent to members May 2002 following a response of 9 persons out of 32 in a call for should we close or not. It was noted that a non response would be seen as a vote to close.
Attempts were made to revitalize the chapter but there was no response. Southern California Chapter of ANAC was closed.
The Chapter did form a Restructuring Ad-hoc Committee that failed to get interest of the membership to move forward with Chapter activities.
Jacqui Pitt, ACRN is the contact person for the Southern California area.