Take Action on World AIDS Day
ANAC is partnering with other provider organizations to bring our voices to the health reform debate that will take place in Congress. This is a first step in a comprehensive multi-year policy effort to protect the rights of our patients and the communities we serve. Health care access is a right. Please help us protect access to affordable care for patients with HIV by urging policymakers to preserve the reforms created by the ACA and to maintain Medicaid. Nurses can be powerful advocates and the voice of ANAC members will strengthen this action- the more nurses sign on- the better. Please be sure to include your RN credential in the sign on!
The respected voice of nurses in conversations about healthcare and the intersection of social determinants, human rights and health is needed now more than ever. Please sign the letter to Congress TODAY.
Click here for a copy of the letter for your reference.
ANAC & ANA have released a joint statement calling for the elimination of unjust laws that criminalize HIV.
What can you do to help put an end to HIV criminalization?
Click here to access a letter that has already been prepared urging your Senator to co-sponsor the REPEAL HIV Discrimination Act.
Today, U.S. Senators Chris Coons (D-Del.), a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.), and Ed Markey (D-Mass.) introduced legislation aimed at helping end stigma, discrimination, and stereotypes that negatively impact Americans living with HIV/AIDS. The Repeal Existing Policies that Encourage and Allow Legal (“REPEAL”) HIV Discrimination Act would require an interagency review of federal and state laws that criminalize certain actions by people living with HIV.
Show your support by taking part in a social media campaign to #RepealHIVdiscrimination using any one of the following tweets:
- Americans w HIV/AIDS are discriminated against in 32 states - @ChrisCoons & @SenMarkey are fighting to stop it #RepealHIVdiscrimination
- HIV/AIDS discrimination is based on fear, not science. All Americans, incl those with HIV, deserve the same laws #RepealHIVdiscrimination
- HIV/AIDS discrimination discourages HIV testing & is bad for public health. Let’s #RepealHIVdiscrimination: http://1.usa.gov/1Trea7S
- Legislation from @ChrisCoons, @SenMarkey & @SenatorBaldwin will fix laws that treat people w HIV/AIDS as criminals: http://1.usa.gov/1Trea7S
- Glad @ChrisCoons, @SenMarkey & @SenatorBaldwin are working for Americans with HIV/AIDS #RepealHIVdiscrimination: http://1.usa.gov/1Trea7S
Getting to know your representatives and the issues that impact your work, your patients and the industry is key to being an effective advocate.
Find out who your local representatives are:
Make Your Voice Heard
Advocacy can take several forms. Below are some of the ways you can make a difference:
If you have any questions, please contact: Carole Treston, RN, MPH, Chief Nursing Officer at ANAC's National Office.