ANAC Student Diversity Mentorship Scholarship
NOMINATION APPLICATION OVERVIEW
The goals of the Student Diversity Mentorship Scholarship are:
- To recognize a student nurse from a diverse racial or ethnic background who has a genuine interest in HIV and HIV-related Nursing and is interested in attending the ANAC national conference.
- To establish a mentor/mentee relationship with the recipient that will continue to develop after the conference.
The recipient of this award will receive:
- A $1,000 Nursing scholarship
- NOTE: This scholarship will be paid out in two $500 hundred dollar installments over the course of the mentorship year.
- Installment one: Received at the annual conference
- Installment two: Received after the successful completion of the mentorship year based on submitted learning objectives and final report.
- Up to $599 in travel reimbursement to attend the ANAC annual conference
- Complimentary ANAC Conference registration
- Admission to the awards ceremony
- An award plaque
- A Two-year ANAC membership
- Members of the ANAC Diversity Committee will serve as the official guide/host for the recipient while attending the conference.
- An ANAC member will be assigned as the recipient’s primary mentor and will maintain bi-monthly contact at a minimum.
Eligibility Criteria and Instructions for Nomination:
- Nominations can be submitted by anyone but must be supported by at least one current ANAC member. Self-nomination is also allowed. All ANAC members must have a current paid membership in order to support a student’s nomination for this award.
- Nominee must be a member of a historically under-represented racial or ethnic minority group in nursing.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited nursing education program. Verification of enrollment is required.
- The following nursing students are eligible to be nominated for this award.
- Entry level pre-licensure students enrolled in any initial RN or LPN/LVN program, (i.e. LPN/LVN, ADN, Diploma, and BS/BSN).
- LPN/LVNs enrolled in an Associate or Bachelor degree program in nursing.
- Current licensed RN students with an Associates or Diploma degree who are enrolled in an undergraduate nursing Bachelor’s degree program (i.e. RN to BS students).
- Current licensed RN with a Bachelor's degree working towards a Masters degree in Nursing
- Current licensed RN or NP students with a Bachelor's degree or Master's degree working towards a Doctorate in Nursing (DNP or PhD)
- Nominees must submit an essay, no more than 2,000 characters, describing their interest or experience in HIV and HIV-related care and their purpose for wanting to attend the annual ANAC conference.
- Current ANAC National Board members, ANAC National staff, Awards Committee and Diversity Committee members are NOT eligible.
The online application must be completed, including supporting documentation, by June 30, 2015. No late or incomplete applications will be accepted.
A five-member sub-committee made up of representatives from the host city chapter (1), (If we have a current chapter in the host city), the Awards Committee (1), and the Diversity Committee (3) will review the nominations and select the recipient of this award. Selection will be based on the quality of the essay, experience and the stated interest in HIV care, prevention, or education.
Notification of the selection committee decision will be made by August7, 2015.
The application for this scholarship is online. The following information has been compiled to assist you to successfully submit the electronic application for your nominee.
Required Additional Documentation for Application
- A 2,000 character or less personal essay by the nominee/applicant, describing his/her interest or experience in HIV or HIV-related prevention, care or treatment and his/her purpose for wanting to attend the ANAC Conference. Please keep the personal statement to less than 2,000 characters to be considered.
- Statement of Support from current ANAC member.
- Official transcript from current nursing program.
- Three stated learning objectives for the mentorship year addressing the following question: What do you want to learn or work on as part of your mentorship year?
- It is strongly suggested that you review the online application to familiarize yourself with the required information.
- It is strongly encouraged that you initially complete the required essay in a Word document so that it can easily be electronically “copied” and “pasted” into the free text areas of the ANAC electronic application.
- The electronic application must be completed in one sitting. You are not able to save the application and return to it at another time. Please ensure you have the available time and documents to complete the application in one sitting.
- Please have all additional documentation listed above ready before beginning your application. Please have your transcript, and statement of support from a current ANAC member saved as either a .doc or .pdf file for ease of uploading.
Click here to submit an application for the ANAC Student Diversity Mentorship Scholarship.