ACLPN, ACRN and AACRN recertification
To ensure ACLPNs, ACRNs and AACRNs continue to expand their HIV knowledge base and competence, we require recertification within the four-year certification period. You can recertify by obtaining continuing nursing education credit (CNE). The recertification requirements are different for ACLPN, ACRN and AACRN.
To recertify you must participate in continuing education activities and submit a recertification packet with your application for ACLPN, ACRN or AACRN. There are many opportunities to earn CNE available, including formal and informal education experiences, publications, presentations, volunteer and leadership responsibilities and more. Here is an overview of the requirements:
- A total of 50 CNE are required for ACLPN recertification, 70 CNE are required for ACRN recertification and 90 CNE are required for AACRN recertification.
- 80% of the CNE must be in HIV care. The remaining 20% may be in any other continuing education area. You also have the option of recertifying with 100% of CNE in HIV.
- CNE must be approved by any one of the following nursing organizations:
- Any state board of nursing
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)
- AIDS Education and Training Center (AETC)
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- Association of Nurses in AIDS Care (ANAC)
- The international equivalent of the above organizations
- CNE via home study are acceptable if the course is certified by one of the above organizations. You may acquire all credit for recertification via home study.
- CNE earned after initial certification are applicable towards the subsequent recertification.
- One educational contact hour (50 minutes of actual classroom time) equals one CNE.
- If audited, a copy of each continuing education certificate is required. The certificate must include the name, date(s) of attendance, title of course, number of contact hours granted and accrediting agency.
- Late recertification applications will be accepted with an additional fee of $50.
Join ANAC for $99 and become eligible for the ANAC member rate.
HANCB will randomly audit a certain percentage of ACLPN, ACRN and AACRN recertification applications. If audited, you will be asked to submit copies of certificates and other documents, verifying your CNE activities with your renewal application. During each four-year period, you are encouraged to keep all documentation and be prepared to submit it upon request. All applications are subject to audit at the discretion of HANCB.