Why recertify?

ACLPN, ACRN and AACRN recertification 

To ensure ACLPNs, ACRNs and AACRNs continue to expand their HIV/AIDS knowledge base and competence, we require recertification within the four-year certification period. You can recertify by obtaining continuing education points (CEPs). The recertification requirements are different for ACLPN, ACRN and AACRN.

To recertify you must participate in continuing education activities and submit a recertification packet with your application for ACLPN, ACRN or AACRN. There are several opportunities to earn CEPs available, including formal and informal education experiences, publications, presentations, volunteer and leadership responsibilities and more. Here is an overview of the requirements:

  • A total of 60 CEPs are required for ACLPN recertification, 70 CEPs are required for ACRN recertification and 90 CEPs are required for AACRN recertification.
  • 80% of the CEPs must be in HIV/AIDS care. The remaining 20% may be in any other continuing education area. You also have the option of recertifying with 100% of CEPs in HIV/AIDS.
  • A maximum of 30 CEPs (ACLPN), 35 CEPs (ACRN) and 45 CEPs (AACRN) can be earned in medicine or other allied health professions, only if they are directly related to HIV/AIDS care.
  • CEPs must be approved by any one of the following nursing organizations:
    • Any state board of nursing
    • American Nurses Credentialing Center
    • Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
    • The international equivalent of the above organizations
  • CEPs via home study are acceptable if the course is certified by one of the above organizations. You may acquire all credit for recertification via home study.
  • CEPs earned after initial certification are applicable towards the subsequent recertification.
  • One educational contact hour (50 minutes of actual classroom time) equals one CEP. 
  • If audited, a copy of each continuing education certificate is required. The certificate must include the name, date(s) of attendance, title of course, number of contact hours granted and accrediting agency.
  • Late recertification applications will be accepted within a 30-day grace period with an additional fee of $50.

ACLPN Recertification

ACRN Recertification

AACRN Recertification

Join ANAC for $99 and become eligible for the ANAC member rate. 

Recertification audit

HANCB will randomly audit a certain percentage of ACLPN, ACRN and AACRN recertification applications. If audited, you will be asked to submit copies of certificates and other documents, verifying your CEP activities with your renewal application. During each four-year period, you are encouraged to keep all documentation and be prepared to submit it upon request. All applications are subject to audit at the discretion of HANCB.

© 2021 HIV/AIDS Nursing Certification Board | 11230 Cleveland Ave NW #986, Uniontown, OH 44685
Phone: 800-260-6780 | Fax: 330-670-0109 | Email: hancb@anacnet.org